Make You OWN Luck
It Starts By Showing Up
By America’s Six Figure Real Estate Coach Roberta Ross
Brian Tracy hit the nail on the head when he said, “I’ve found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances. Be more active. Show up more often.” In the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day this month, I wanted to address the idea of how those ‘lucky’ agents get all the breaks. The reality is that there really aren’t any overnight successes and lucky breaks are nothing more than what happens when an agent has done the work. When they’ve shown up consistently month after month. When resources are delivered respectfully, honorably, again and again. When trust is built and relationships developed. When an agent’s focus has shifted from commission-minded to service-minded.
The answer is if you want more ‘luck’, you can create it yourself. Here are a few ideas how:
- Put a system in place. Connect with your sphere and farm at least once every 30 days. That old saying, “out of sight, out of mind” is real-world. If you want to be the agent who never has to hear, “Oh, I forgot you were in real estate” – then show up without fail!
- Be creative. The best agents in the world aren’t afraid to show what makes them unique. Find fun things to share via mail, online, and in person with all those VIPs in your database. There’s a site with some unique holidays that are fun to share – you can find this month’s here.
- Take the initiative. People often remark in a state of amazement, “In Success Series, you interview so many fascinating people!” That’s because I take initiative! A little more initiative on your part will take you to amazing places as well. Get out of stealth mode and get out there in your community. Take the steps necessary each day to put yourself in front of the right people and make the connections. Some agents wait for the phones to ring, the door to open, or the ship to come in – don’t let that be you. Heed the advice of this old quote, “Fortune favors the bold” – be bold. There are fortunes to be had and friends to make!
- Be perpetually prepared. If you’ve ever been in one of my audiences or at one of my boot camps you’re probably familiar with my passion for helping agents truly find their purpose and develop the right niche for them. There are a lot of reasons for that – you get to love what you do more, you get to work with people who you really want to work with, and it’s much easier to rise to the top of a market that you are passionate about. There’s another very important reason though – and that is that when you REALLY know your market, your customers, their needs, their questions, their objections – and the works – you’re well versed in how to handle whatever comes your way. That’s powerful when you are on a listing presentation, presenting an offer, negotiating for your clients, talking with prospects at a social event, and building your business in general.
- Get help when and where you need it. Bogged down with administrative duties? Hire a virtual assistant or get someone to help you so that you can focus on prospecting, presenting and closing (and having a life). Need help with your sales skills or business development? Get a mentor, take a course, or get a coach. The best of the best in our business don’t try to figure out everything on their own, rest on their laurels, nor do they wait for ‘luck’ to come their way. They pro-actively seek the opportunities and assistance they need to grow the success story they desire. You can do the same.
This month and every month – don’t wait for the next shiny penny, shamrock, or lucky streak for things to go your way. Take bold, confident ACTION every day, and you’ll get there – no luck required.