Raise the Rent!
Be a Discerning ‘Landlord’ of Your Thoughts
By America’s Six Figure Real Estate Coach Roberta Ross
Love the quote by Robert Tew, “Don’t let negative and toxic people rent space in your head. Raise the rent and kick them out!” It feels powerful just to say that doesn’t it? In today’s 24/7 world, we don’t need ANYTHING in our lives that will slow us down, dull our spirit, shut off our productivity, or keep us from achieving what we really want. Negativity – in the form of people, habits, thoughts, or action – is a thief. It robs you of creativity, of energy, and of momentum.
So raise the rent. Kick negativity out of your head and your life. Here are six ways to fuel your life and career in a more powerful, POSITIVE direction:
- Count your blessings not your worries. An old saying, but a smart one. We get more of what we focus on in life. So leave the worries and woes where they are and focus on what’s going RIGHT each day.
- Live in the moment. Coulda, shoulda, and woulda’s never made anyone very happy. When you live in the present and appreciate what is in the right here, right now, you keep the old regrets of the past and worry for the future (neither of which you can do much about) at bay.
- Love what you do. There’s no better way to keep those work hours positive that to truly do what you love. Find your passion and infuse it into your daily work life and you’ll not only have a happier life – you’ll find yourself much more successful as well.
- “Surround yourself only with those who lift you higher.” That powerful quote from Oprah Winfrey is an extraordinary mantra for living better. There will always, always be naysayers in life. The folks who say you can’t, or shouldn’t, or don’t every step of the way. The reality is that their truth, their future, their story is not your story. The people that truly have your best interests at heart will be there cheering you on, not bringing you down.
- Affirm the positive. Some of the best minds in our business start and end their days with positive affirmations. Heck, some even throw in a few throughout the day as well. The words “I Am” are powerful when you put the right words behind them. Phrases like, I am a six figure earner, I am happy and healthy, I am centered and lead a balanced life, I am a respected real estate professional, I am confident — all are great kick starters for great days (and great careers)!
- Give back. Nothing quite puts things in perspective quite like getting OUT of your own head and problem solving and INTO the business of helping others. When we give back to others, whether that is in donating time, money, energy, or all of the above – we take the focus off all those ‘little things’ that get us down, drive us crazy, or hold us back.
As real estate professionals, I thought you’d appreciate the quote. As people on the path of success, I hope you find the message motivating. The great thing about what we do is that we get to set the pace for our success. We get to choose who is in our lives and who isn’t. We get to decide what and who influences us on a daily basis. HOW you CHOOSE is up to you! (I’m sticking with the positive stuff.) Will you?